legit

Author Topic: Trading Commodities  (Read 1780 times)

Bandus

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Trading Commodities
« on: July 03, 2015, 08:26:29 AM »
Greetings! First off I wanted to say I was a huge fan of your mods from X and am still saddened by the atrocity that is X:R.

With that said, I was curious if there was any information anywhere regarding what types of commodities certain stations tend to want to buy. For example, it is easy to guess that most stations want to buy energy credits. But what type of stations want computers and so on? I appreciate it!

Looking forward to having fun with this game!

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
Re: Trading Commodities
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 04:50:18 PM »
Hi and welcome :)

Factories haves fixed imports and exports, same as X2/3. They sell at the average price and buy based on their stocks.

Trading Stations are a bit more complex because what they'll buy and sell depends on the production of the solar system they are in. If a solar system produces massive amounts of energy cells but lacks iron for it's chipset production, the station will sell energy and buy iron. Prices will fluctuate based on stocks. That's the main thing. Secondly, if the trade station is in the same sector as a (planetary) colony it will also buy and sell based on what this colony import/export. Mining colonies, for instance, will export the various ores, and import energy cells. So basically, what a trade station will buy/sell is likely to vary over time.

In any case, you can see what a dock buy and sells with your scanners (Q by default) from any distance as long as the station has been discovered (if you play with fog of war).

Some wares are indeed more difficult to sell, computers and medicine especially. Those are only bought by some colonies. Well, computers and medicine will be used in a future free update for research purpose, that's mostly why they are in this weird "limbo" at the moment. In some cases, they can be impossible to sell unless "someone" hire a few pirates to get rid of the production in a given system.

To a lower extend, some of the (mostly) illegal wares like slaves and small arms can only be sold to pirate bases over a planet with a smuggler den and in spqr and sirak capital worlds. The UI to see what a colony import/export is lacking at the moment and will be added to next patch.

I hope that helps :)

Cheers,
EsKa.
Anarkis Gaming

Bandus

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 04:58:29 AM »
Thank you for the reply! While it is off topic from my OP, I was curious about something else as well: What is the development time like with regard to the game? Not to pressure, more just curious about how often one might expect to see updates to the game?

Thank you again!

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 05:49:52 AM »
No problem :)

I'll take July and August mostly off the code, with one or two small updates to make sure the game is as bug free as possible before resuming the heavy lifting. It will allow me to promote the game on Steam and other places properly and take a little break after more than a year of full time development.

Actual work (new features / improvements) will resume in September. I aim for a major release every month or two, depending on the features being added at the time of course.

I will also answer the question that hasn't been asked (yet): "For how long?" because transparency is important to me. At some point, I will need to switch to another project as my main, and UG will become secondary. It will still get updates, but at a slower rate. No matter what UG will stay the main focus until next year. After that, it will depend heavily on the game getting Green-lighted on Steam, accepted on the GoG store and how well it will do there. Simply put, the better it works, the longer it'll stay as my main project.

Anarkis Gaming

Bandus

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 06:30:07 AM »
Very pleased to hear all of that! I went ahead and upvoted it on Steam Greenlight. Very hopeful with regard to this game as I was a huge fan of the X game and basically, what I feel you're doing here is trying to create a top down "X like" game that that also reminds me a lot of Escape Velocity Nova. I think it is great!