legit

Anarkis Gaming Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom Sprites Thread  (Read 2564 times)

Ratling

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Custom Sprites Thread
« on: April 27, 2014, 01:05:12 PM »

Thread for donating custom sprites for possible use in UG
SHIP SIZES
Fighters ~32x32 (lowest priority)
Capital ships: ~128x128
Intermediate classes anywhere from 32< - >128 respectively
Space stations: 128x128 or 350x350
Planets/Stars: ~1000x1000 *POST IN LINK/SPOILER FORM ONLY!*
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 08:08:32 PM by Ratling »
"You can't frighten me! I'm a coward, I'm always scared!" - Arnold Rimmer

Ratling

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Sprites Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 02:02:58 PM »

A heavy fighter and torpedo I made earlier today just for fun

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 06:30:18 AM »

Thank you, that's a good idea :)

While at it, I will list what I am mainly looking for:

Space Stations
Anything between 128x128 and 350x350 pixels.
Any kind of space station : factories, science outposts, solar panels, ore mines, pirate bases, shipyards. Hell, even a cattle ranch in space or a booze factory would work.

Ships
32x32 for fighters to 128x128 max for capital class ships.
Ship class into the game by order of size are: fighters, frigates, transport ships, cruisers, carriers, battleships, station builders. This said, I have plenty of small ships already (thank to the pack from AI:War), but battleships, carriers and station builders, not so much.

Portraits
Any size over 64x64, images will be re-sized to fit the user interface, anyway.
That's a tricky one, the game has 3 humanoid races (humans, drath, siraks) dispatched into several factions (one per race + pirates and independent sectors who have a mix). There's also a mechanical race (AI core) but no portrait are need. And another race will probably be added during development (insectoid / hive mind). No idea how they should look like myself.

Background stuff
On transparent background.
- High Resolution, realistic looking planets and suns (1000x1000 and over). I am using NASA pictures at the moment, but they don't have a lot in the department of oceanic / forest / city covered planets  ;D
- Nebulas with alpha channel similar to what is already in place in the game.
- stars, black holes
Anarkis Gaming

Ratling

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 10:42:21 PM »

Sorry about the size of the fighter, I'll re-scale it. What kind of art style do you want? cartoony, realistic, with or without definable outlines, similar to the one currently in use? Once again, I'm not an artist but I find this to be a nice opportunity to help me learn.

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 10:19:34 AM »

No worries, the size of your fighter is mostly fine, works as a frigate without resizing, or as a heavy fighter with minimal changes.

I'd rather have ships that are similar to the current ones style wise (more or less realistic i guess), mainly because it's much less work than to redo all the assets from scratch. If you go into the data/sprites folder, you'll see how much there is. I know that cartoony stuff tend to be easier to draw, but that would imply that everything as to be done that way (including planets).

Also, maybe it'll tickle your interest, for the last faction I plan on adding granted i find the assets: I am looking for organic looking "ships" (the ships being, here, the actual members of the race).

I will publish a minor update of the demo in a week or so, and include the editors with it. I wasn't planning on releasing anything for a while, but it will make your life easier when you want to test your assets in-game.

Also, I am also going to have a talk with a friend who also happen to be an art teacher to see if I can use some of her students for free. Finger crossed :)
Anarkis Gaming

RaitzuViMate

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 10:09:50 AM »

Heres a zip file containing 124 sprites from Gratuitous Space Battles, I already resized and edited them to fit to game better, Through I decided not to resize the cruises more than to < 200x200, cus Im currently making mod for this game with these sprites that contains bigger ships than the vanilla game has. I'm not sure if you're allowed to merchanice with these sprites like AI:War sprites, but as for modding sure.

Heres the link to the zip file, forum didin't allow files bigger than 2MB sadly.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxNQenRhpPqmVTJRbHVKMGdNU0E

Bad Behavior has blocked 240 access attempts in the last 7 days.