legit

Author Topic: After the Collapse compare  (Read 299 times)

Seeler89

• Pilot
    • View Profile
After the Collapse compare
« on: December 06, 2017, 01:58:32 PM »
How does After the Collapse compare to games like Rimworld and others with that feel??

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
Re: After the Collapse compare
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 03:06:28 PM »
Oh, I guess the game will need its own forum now. Sorry the forum tends to be left a bit behind, there's only so many hours in each day, sadly :)

Anyway to answer your question before taking care of the forum:

The day-to-day operations will be fairly similar, build furniture and walls to keep your survivors happy, productive and secure. On that side, it will follow the general recipe for this type of game.
However things will be different on other points:

1) Resource gathering. Due to its urban environment, your people will be mostly disassembling destroyed building and scavenging resources instead of mining ores and cutting trees.
It's not just a semantic difference. Going into a closed building to scavenge might unleash a bunch of hostiles on your poor settlers.
Resources will generally be scarce, and past the initial first few hours you'll have to get them either via trading or via missions outside your base.

2) Scale. Rimworld is designed for a 6 to 12 group. ATC is planning for a much larger population.
While giving an exact number right now can only be a vague approximation, I'm aiming for a number around 50 for a well developed base.

3) Outside-of-base missions. My engine is apt at running multiple game areas simultaneously. That's something i want to exploit by allowing the player
to send teams on scavenging, raiding, and exploration missions.

4) artifacts! And, yes, that's directly taken from STALKER's lore.
Rare artifacts, which can be found the aforementioned raids will be used to customize weapons, boost survivors' stats and build special, powerful structures.

5) More combat oriented. You're in a post apocalyptic world where mutants, raiders and environmental treats (radiation for instance) are rampant. Making a well
secured base with gun turrets and strong walls will be a priority. The nature and strength of your enemies will be configurable, allowing players who prefer a calm
game to play at their leisure, but it's still the general idea.

I could go on, but that would be a bit presumptuous at the moment. My current goal is to have the basics of the game working like clockwork before adding more features and additional layers of complexity.

I hope it answered your question to your satisfaction.
Cheers!
Anarkis Gaming