legit

Author Topic: 0.7.0 Some questions and suggestions  (Read 2200 times)

( Tchey )

• Pilot
    • View Profile
0.7.0 Some questions and suggestions
« on: September 14, 2014, 04:47:01 PM »
Hi,

- In UG, the zoom on middle mouse is inverted, according to most of all the other games. Is there a way to set in like that : rolling down to zoom out, and up to zoom in ?

- Also, when i change the keybinding in the launcher, there are some strange characters showing (i don't know, Korea, Jupiter, Underworld ?). Why ?

- I don't like to push down to go down, right to go right, etc. I would prefer to push "forward" from always the same button and then turn, like games as Void Expanse or StarSector. Is it planned as an option to change the behavior of ships ?

- On Sector map, the ships are pictures, and the pictures don't turn according to the direction of the ships. They are always aligned North/South. Is it planned to make the pictures turn too ?

- On the top left UI, i have to press F1, M, J... I think it could be nice to have F1, F2, F3, F4 and F5, to activate these option, by default, with a little "Fn" showing next to it.

- The global map and the jumping map could be mixed together.

- I would like to start as a very small empire, with only one sector, one station, a very small fleet and some money. I currently can't.
- I would like to start with only one ship and some money, neutral to all (but pirate maybe). I can't.

- The big bad ennemy seems very strong, when testing some exploration with the military fleet starting option, i got wiped in 5 secondes. I was in an empire from some IA, and they get wipe too. No alert, no way to flee, nothing. Game over (oh, and no game over screen, just stuck with nothing to do but press Esc).

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
Re: 0.7.0 Some questions and suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 06:08:08 PM »
In UG, the zoom on middle mouse is inverted, according to most of all the other games. Is there a way to set in like that : rolling down to zoom out, and up to zoom in ?

Not right now, but I will add an option to invert the zoom controls. Good idea, btw.

Also, when i change the keybinding in the launcher, there are some strange characters showing (i don't know, Korea, Jupiter, Underworld ?). Why ?

I have no idea yet. It was working perfectly before I updated my coding environment to the latest version and I noticed the issue only after packaging the 0.7 release as it's not a menu I have to edit much. It is probably an undocumented change to the language.

What's very weird (but good because it's a proof it's a very minor issue to fix) is that it still works and that the correct character is even displayed in the menu.

I don't like to push down to go down, right to go right, etc. I would prefer to push "forward" from always the same button and then turn, like games as Void Expanse or StarSector. Is it planned as an option to change the behavior of ships ?

Not right now. Movement is 8 directional (for you and for the AI) because it allows me to use much simpler, and more importantly faster, code when handling the "physics" of the game. Moving toward what you're looking for would require me to use vector based physics which are more CPU consuming. So even if I'd like to implement it too, I first have to do a large optimization pass to the game, which won't happen until it's near the end of the beta stage.

On Sector map, the ships are pictures, and the pictures don't turn according to the direction of the ships. They are always aligned North/South. Is it planned to make the pictures turn too ?

The sector map is mainly a place holder, it will be improved upon in next releases. I have no issue with this feature, so it will surely be implemented (they probably won't rotate nicely, though).

On the top left UI, i have to press F1, M, J... I think it could be nice to have F1, F2, F3, F4 and F5, to activate these option, by default, with a little "Fn" showing next to it.

Yes, that's true it would probably make more sense for most menus. I am a bit torn on changing the contextual menus ('I'nventory and 'J'umping), though. I will think about it.

The global map and the jumping map could be mixed together.

I am not sure I understand. They already are, you can press J in the galactic map to jump toward another sector.

I would like to start as a very small empire, with only one sector, one station, a very small fleet and some money. I currently can't.

Not an issue, I can add any amount of starting scenarios. I just didn't because, well it's alpha, features before content.

I would like to start with only one ship and some money, neutral to all (but pirate maybe). I can't.

Well you could, with the editor :). But yes, same answer, many additional starting positions will be added gradually.

The big bad ennemy seems very strong, when testing some exploration with the military fleet starting option, i got wiped in 5 secondes. I was in an empire from some IA, and they get wipe too. No alert, no way to flee, nothing. Game over (oh, and no game over screen, just stuck with nothing to do but press Esc).

I've read your topic on the french forum, thanks for this "let's play" :)

Yeah the AI Core is kinda hard to balance. Individually, their ships are stronger than others mainly because of their long range lasers. However, when fleets get big enough, they get wiped quickly due to their extremely weak shields. Missiles (lots of missiles) are good against them as you can stay out of range.

You are not meant to attack them so soon, or at all without being at the empire level. Especially early game when they can build reinforcements like crazy. They start with way more production facilities than other factions making them extremely tough. However after an hour or so, once they have spent their ship parts reserves, they'll produce at a much lower pace dictated by what their factories can produce.

However, once I start added things like small raids (in addition to the existing large battles), you'll encounter them in more manageable fights.

Also the individual ship AI is extremely stupid when it comes to avoiding enemy fire right now, that something I have yet to work on. I know how, I just didn't had time to do so yet.

So yes that's mostly balancing issues that I will gradually fix.

About the game over screen, one will of course be added for the beta.

Anarkis Gaming

( Tchey )

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 06:46:25 PM »
Thanks for the detailed answers !

"J"ump or "I"nventory make sense, and at the same time, you can (simply ?) add F1 to F5 in addition, so player has a choice ? Or later if you add some new functions, it's also logical to go further, F6, F7...

About the maps, i mean, there are two global maps, and two icones on the UI. I feel that one of them is useless. Or maybe i've missed something.

About the french forum, how did you find it ? Just searched my name on internet ? I'm mostly writing "Let's Play" on two important french forum, about many "indy games", to give them some love.

http://forums.jeuxonline.info/showthread.php?t=1184145
http://forum.canardpc.com/forums/5-Jeux-vid%C3%A9o

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 08:12:42 PM »
No problem.

Regarding commands, i could do both sure. Having "hardcoded" Fn keys for each item of menu, in addition to the configurable one. Not 100% convinced because that's the kind of feature that people who have been playing the game for a long time tend to like while it confuses new users (2 keys for the same thing?!). but I will give it a try.

Oh, yeah i see what you mean about the map now. That's indeed a bit weird even if both have very different usages. The galactic map in general needs a button bar, to filter sectors with enemy activity, move fleets around, and so on. Once I have decided how I will proceed, I will probably move the jump button there as well.

And, no i don't stalk my users like that :) It's just that the statistics of my website track where my visitors are coming from and I always give a quick look at the new referring pages. I just saw your name there.
Anarkis Gaming