legit

Anarkis Gaming Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [fixed] UI causes glitchy graphics, low framerate  (Read 3096 times)

Frederikam

• Pilot
    • View Profile
[fixed] UI causes glitchy graphics, low framerate
« on: August 09, 2014, 10:41:16 AM »

I attempted to run the game on another win8 pc, with a newer gpu.
The game flickers as the cursor moves over buttons.
The main menu (and other menues) always seem to have a low (0-25) fps, seemingly not limited by the hardware's speed.
The cursor is moving seamlessly, despite the the looks of it in the linked recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VcPQk8E2uk&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:18:35 PM by EsKa »

Largo Tuek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.2]UI causes glitchy graphics, low framerate **Fixed in 0.6.3**
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 07:47:07 PM »

Hi,

just in case it is not known, I have exactly the same "flickering" problem with Win8, GeForce GTX 760M, as visible in the youtube link above.
Is there a way to have a workaround ?
Thx.

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
Re: [0.6.2]UI causes glitchy graphics, low framerate **Fixed in 0.6.3**
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 01:59:45 AM »

Hi and happy new year !

Thanks for the bug report.

What you are showing me is basically the worst nightmare of any programer. While I am not using any "pre made" engine like Unity, I am still relying on what my programing language is providing to, well, show buttons. And, believe me or not, it's not supposed to be that hard to display a freaking bitmap without crashing a computer..

The issue here is that I have nearly zero control over that part of the code. I simply can't change any line of code regarding this kind of issue because from my point of view, I just place some buttons in the menu through a nice IDE and apply a skin over what's basically a standard windows form. We are talking about an issue in the launcher, not even the game itself here. If the issue was with what those buttons do, sure I would fix that in a flash, but here that's another story.

That said, I still may find a solution, but I need your help to do so, and having at least two persons is really important to isolate the problem.

Basically, I need you to run a program that will scan your computer hardware and basic software. It will tell me what cpu/gpu/ram/... you have, and what drivers you have for each component alongside the services your are running. I understand that it sounds intrusive, and it is, but it won't map your full computer, just enough for me to notice some common ground between your respective issues. It'll produced a text file you can censor if you want to anyway.

Also, as you said, the launcher is, well, buggy. But what happens when you're still soldiering on and running the game in windowed mode (in like 1024x768), with no bloom shader, and the fps counter enabled ? I imagine the menus are still "weird" but the game itself ? The FPS counter is not accurate (it has a tendency to go between real fps +/- 5), but it's good enough for the current issue.

Oh, another possible issue, does your computer still look like windows 95 ? And, yes, I am serious. I have not the slightest idea on how win8 works exactly at that level, but I do know that if your desktop is not running via hardware DirectX, the game will switch back to software mode and will most likely run (badly) at 2-10 FPS while eating a whole core of computational power. With good settings, it'd do 200fps without breaking a sweat. In theory, it shouldn't impact the launcher, but maybe I was wrong on that theory.

Finally, there's a few way I can "make" the executable file. Some of them may work on your computer, some may not. Same here, I'll need you to download and report for each version.

That said, I understand it's freaking annoying, there's thousands of games being made, and there's no reason for you to stick around for a bug I, at the moment, have no idea if it can be fixed or not. All I can offer is the deluxe version (game+higher quality music+editor+more maps+additional scenarios) free of charge for your help on that matter.

I can't do that right now because it's still the 1st/Jan and I really need to sleep ^^ but I'll post again here in a day or two with the files you need to run to help me fix this issue.

Cheers,
SK.
Anarkis Gaming

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
Re: [fixed] UI causes glitchy graphics, low framerate
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 07:54:30 AM »

Checkout the beta 2 and try using this executable instead if it's still buggy on your end.

On my end it makes visual styles unnecessary, it seems to force DirectX properly, shaders seems to be working properly too while I get constant good fps. Maybe it will works for you as well.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 05:36:41 PM by EsKa »
Anarkis Gaming

( Tchey )

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 11:30:45 PM »

I had the same problem at first, trying to launch the game fullscreen (16/9) , Win764bits. It was ugly, and the screen was jumping with very low FPS. I had to check the options, and set the refresh rate to 60Hz (my screen rate). It was 30Hz at first. For me, problem solved in two clicks.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 05:36:28 PM by EsKa »

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 04:00:46 AM »

Oh, right.

I am not sure if that's exactly their issue here, but it's still a good advice if graphics look glitchy / slow in general.

If no fullscreen screen resolution is selected in the video settings, the game will try to find a correct one all by itself and it may be a bit unreliable on many screen/gfx card. Try setting something that looks like a good default. 

edit: Unless told otherwise i consider the issue fixed.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:18:25 PM by EsKa »
Anarkis Gaming

Bad Behavior has blocked 48 access attempts in the last 7 days.