legit

Anarkis Gaming Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game Editor Questions For Dev  (Read 1388 times)

RaitzuViMate

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Game Editor Questions For Dev
« on: February 20, 2016, 05:43:48 AM »

Behaviors
Some game behaviors are obvious like expansion and xenophobia, but their values are not, what is the difference between expansion value of 800 and 500? There isn't any kind of information toward how these values affect the game AI, or how the factions behave if you put xenophobia 1000 for particular faction, could you give someshort example of this. Other behaviors like stubborness and corruption would be nice to know too what they actually mean for the AI?

General AI
Differences between Passive, Active, Swarm AI's? If faction has no AI selected, does it mean it doesn't do anything? SSC and ceridan factions seems to be using this AI. ???

Faction Assets/Tech Group
In game editor, if you plan to make new faction that doesn't use vanilla sprites of the game, you first must make 3 new stations but the station editor asks techgroup for these stations which you don't yet have. So if you decide to do the tech group before the stations, you will notice that tech group askes for stations which you don't yet have. This is a design bug of this part of the editor. This can be bypassed through but it takes several times to restart the editor which is annoying and time consuming, and after you have advanced to the faction part, the editor askes for stations once again, which doesn't make sense, or is fully pointless because you have already assigned the stations for current tech group, and that is the tech group you have assigned to this faction. Or maybe this has someshort influence over the faction which I don't understand?  ::)

How Base Manpower affects the faction? It seems most factions have "200" Manpower, and some have "0", "500".

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
Re: Game Editor Questions For Dev
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 11:36:37 PM »

Hi,

sorry to be quick (and good work on the new faction) but I am a bit overwhelmed between the release, steam community, hot-patching.

Behaviors
Some game behaviors are obvious like expansion and xenophobia, but their values are not, what is the difference between expansion value of 800 and 500? There isn't any kind of information toward how these values affect the game AI, or how the factions behave if you put xenophobia 1000 for particular faction, could you give someshort example of this. Other behaviors like stubborness and corruption would be nice to know too what they actually mean for the AI?

Sure,

Expansion How often the faction will try to check for sectors outside it's current borders to plant a new factory. Also has an influence on the likelihood to declare war when it can't expand anymore naturally.

Xenophobia & Diplomacy : Used when 2 AI factions are conducting diplomacy. Example: Faction A sends alliance deal to Faction B. ([Faction A diplomacy] - [Faction B xenophobia]) is tested and compared to a random roll. Basically Xenophobia = defensive diplomacy. They are both used left and right in the calculations. The important thing : the higher the diplomacy the higher the chance that faction will pass the deals they want with other factions. The higher the xenophobia the less change it will accept any deal.

Trade : I'll double check when i get the time but I am not sure it's used. It was supposedly to define a ratio of military vs trade actions but i don't remember having coded the game like that. 

Stubborness : How long a faction will stay in a war no matter the odds.

Aggression : Used with Expansion to determine how likely is a faction to declare war

Corruption : Effectiveness of bribes in diplomacy

General AI
Differences between Passive, Active, Swarm AI's? If faction has no AI selected, does it mean it doesn't do anything? SSC and ceridan factions seems to be using this AI. ???

Passive: The faction doesn't expand, it can still reclaim lost sectors. = ISA
Active : Standard faction = Siraks, Draths
Swarm AI : Will likely crash the game if you use that on a faction that is not the swarm. Never tried, but it can't be good.

Passive : No AI at all.

Some faction change AI mid game. The SPQR can become active through a special event. The Ceridan are initially disabled because they don't start with any territory and that setting them to active will technically "kill" them. When they enter the galaxy, after a specific player action, the ai is switched to Active.

Faction Assets/Tech Group
In game editor, if you plan to make new faction that doesn't use vanilla sprites of the game, you first must make 3 new stations but the station editor asks techgroup for these stations which you don't yet have. So if you decide to do the tech group before the stations, you will notice that tech group askes for stations which you don't yet have. This is a design bug of this part of the editor. This can be bypassed through but it takes several times to restart the editor which is annoying and time consuming, and after you have advanced to the faction part, the editor askes for stations once again, which doesn't make sense, or is fully pointless because you have already assigned the stations for current tech group, and that is the tech group you have assigned to this faction. Or maybe this has someshort influence over the faction which I don't understand?

It's not exactly "per design", the editor UI had to contend with nearly 2 years of gradual improvements. Tech groups are a "recent" (read 6 months old) addition. You don't technically need to restart the editor, there's a button for that.

Simply put the editor never got an overhaul, which shows in its design. I'll get to it at some point, but it's not the priority right now.

How Base Manpower affects the faction? It seems most factions have "200" Manpower, and some have "0", "500".

Manpower is the old name for supply. It's basically how strong an army the faction ca support without any territory to back it up.

Cheers,
EsKa.
Anarkis Gaming

RaitzuViMate

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 06:08:26 PM »

Hey, its good to hear that you been busy with the game, and still developing it, I had slight feeling that steam release was going to be the final release. Hopefully this game gets more attention, for as its been uploaded to steam.

I played around today with these behaviors and updated the faction quite lot, I hope you'll add more behavior variables in future, like mining, militarism, or combat AI behaviors like  cowardness, bravery ect. Not just for modding but for the gameplay as well, would add more depth to different vanilla factions and make them also feel different rather than just the look of different in sprites.

And that reload button yeah, the thing is why I don't use it because its reloads around minute or two and then pop ups with some error, I find it easier to just close the editor and opening it back.

Thanks for replying.

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 08:03:16 PM »

Development will likely slow down a bit and I may write other games on the side as i need to make a living, but i will still publish large content patches. I have a large military overhaul planned, diplomacy will likely follow, hopefully research will be included at some point too.

UG is selling pretty well for a niche game, better than expected in any case. I guess that adding steam mod workshop support would make sense and further help develop the game, but it's an annoyingly large quantity of code to add for the feature. I will however add a modding section on the community board soon.

I played around today with these behaviors and updated the faction quite lot, I hope you'll add more behavior variables in future, like mining, militarism, or combat AI behaviors like  cowardness, bravery ect. Not just for modding but for the gameplay as well, would add more depth to different vanilla factions and make them also feel different rather than just the look of different in sprites.

Yes i will open more settings to modding for next major patch.
I should have already tbh, but it's quite a big game for a lone coder and as such i always add higher priority tasks to deal with.

And that reload button yeah, the thing is why I don't use it because its reloads around minute or two and then pop ups with some error, I find it easier to just close the editor and opening it back.

I'll check that out.

Cheers,
EsKa.
Anarkis Gaming

TheDeadlyShoe

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 05:26:46 PM »

Reload always kills the program for me.  The close button even stops working, i have to kill the process. ;)

Are dodge values used?  It'd be great if these were on weapons instead of ships, or weapons could be undodgeable, since fighters dodging XL weapons wouldn't mesh well with the FAA.  I assume you experimented with them but it was frustrating 'hitting' a fighter and not getting a hit.

Please make the default save folder the last activated mod or something ;_;

I'm most of the way through making a Kushan (Homeworld) faction using sprites I made for Distant Worlds, but if I wanted to add other Homeworld factions I'm getting the impression I'd have to make their own versions of custom weapons, shields, etc. - these only seem able to belong to a single techgroup or faction.  I guess that wouldn't be a problem if I made a TC instead - then these components could be the generic ones?  EDIT - Would love if factions could pick  multiple tech groups - then you could have subfactions, like different flavors of ISA for each star system or different SPQR Houses.  So Human would be HUMAN,GENERIC and Kushan would be KUSHAN,HOMEWORLD.

Is there any way to specify loadouts for ships?   It seems like the AI does primary,secondary, + maybe 1x special?

What the hell is Equipment slots for ships? Notimplemented?

EDIT:
Arr, the sprite display size function doesnt actually work! These sprites are all too big and resizing makes em lose any resemblance to pixel art. *cries*

EDIT:

Hmmm.... I don't suppose there's a way to turn off civilian Mining Frigates (as opposed to Transports)?  It's not smart enough to realize it has no valid mining weapon.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 10:50:22 PM by TheDeadlyShoe »

Bad Behavior has blocked 42 access attempts in the last 7 days.