legit

Anarkis Gaming Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to play without too much automation?  (Read 1044 times)

Kane Hart

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Is there a way to play without too much automation?
« on: February 14, 2016, 10:20:44 PM »

I started as a Humble Merchant I mean Neutral Trader :P

I had a lot of fun I found the best thing one can do is Mine for the first while even after that it's worth it send a few mining ships to each of the factions that are neutral. Overtime I made good amount of money or at least I feel I did like 10million not sure what some you guys get in the long run if it's billions or more.

But my biggest issue ended up when trying to claim land. My gameplay Might be 2 hours with procedural generated universe I started with the very low version of claimed territory with the AI also so that way I had more chance myself to claim...

Well I found a little left and then I found that drath started to attack me randomly so I started attacking them...

Long story short I ended up having to turn on most automation settings and ended up going to war.

My biggest issue was I just did not enjoy the game at all at this point. I knew I could not keep up and manage things well enough but also I did not want to AI everything because I felt like it turned into like old RTS games where you for fun set to all AI players and go to sleep and wake up to see how the battle has been going.

So long story short.
Can you play without automated building?
How can you reduce the AI down to compete against them more fairly if you don't auto build?
Is there a way to start with Less AI?

I never played X Series really long in end game but is this similar to what happens? I always thought we still micro manged most things clearly this not an X game but just wondering :)

Thanks.

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
Re: Is there a way to play without too much automation?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 05:48:48 AM »

Hi,

Can you play without automated building?

Yes absolutely, i never auto build myself, i just make good use of the active pause. Automation is mostly to fill the blanks once you've built the important. Once you have some territory under your control, the most important part is ship part production. You basically want to build the factory chains to produce said parts for free ASAP. Trade oriented factories (medicine, food, ...) are nice to generate additional income and some can help reduce your war weariness, but still, ship part production is the priority.

How can you reduce the AI down to compete against them more fairly if you don't auto build?

There are a lot of different tricks. You can keep the AI busy so they declare war on each other. Settling far away from them helps a lot too. You may also want to play with the slower game pace, it increases all building times, slowdown faction AI expansion, reduce the frequency of random events, while keeping the "physics" running as the same speed (you can't change that mid game presently). You can also keep some factions happy with money. Granted you have only one neighbor, you may want to ally with it.

You can build in pirate sectors too. You may need a fairly strong military presence there, but, especially on the hand crafted maps, it's a valid strategy.

Is there a way to start with Less AI?

Not right now, but i plan on adding a faction selection menu (as in civilization for instance) later down the road

I never played X Series really long in end game but is this similar to what happens? I always thought we still micro manged most things clearly this not an X game but just wondering

X (vanilla/mod-less) doesn't really allow you to claim territory or conduct diplomacy and AI factions are completely passive outside of the plot. To simplify to the extreme, UG is deeper in the endgame while X is (presently) more complex in the early game. UG games if you're aiming for global world domination instead of sandbox fun, are also shorter, count 8-10 hours to clear a map.

Random related thoughts:

- Try one of the handcrafted maps. Most have been designed in a way that will keep a couple of valuable solar systems outside of the AI's reach until you decide to claim them (Imperium is probably the friendliest in that regard).

- Claiming a sector too close to another faction without the means to defend it will get you destroyed. The AI factions have no remorse. In some games it can be extremely difficult to actually claim a sector without getting annihilated while in others it will be a peace of cake.

- Starting scenarios like the Lost Fleet or Ceridan Invader are better suited than neutral trader if you want to claim territory early.

I could go on, but i still have work to do :)
Anarkis Gaming

Bad Behavior has blocked 39 access attempts in the last 7 days.