legit

Anarkis Gaming Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A bit confused starting out as a neutral trader.  (Read 1230 times)

Kane Hart

• Pilot
    • View Profile
A bit confused starting out as a neutral trader.
« on: February 13, 2016, 09:32:55 AM »

I'm a bit confused because I'm just playing around learning and something strange has happen. I stopped earning cash and I could not figure it out. I sent my trader out and boom Idk if I clicked something etc but I had nothing but about 100k with hour+ if not maybe 2 hours of trading and it seem to sit there.

I thought maybe time for 2nd trader... But it cost me nothing.. Then I realized the station holding cash was not how much the NPC had but how much I had within the system oddly enough..

I tried this again over 800k now and it's all in this system I was able buy like 15 new trader ships.

http://imgur.com/e2e6Urk
http://imgur.com/SML7Lrs

How did this happen? Why does this happen? Is this normal? And why when I started new game (laptop while was in bed) did this not repeat. As far as I know I don't own stations, bases, territory, etc. Just a fresh neutral game :)

- Okay well this seems to have been a bug I noticed that my front empire info said 2 ships I had like 13 so I saved it exit to the menu and loaded same issue. I closed the entire game re-open it loaded it up and it was fine.

Now outside that mind twister :) I have a few questions just learning game if anyone feels like indulging me :)
1) What would you say makes more money at the start? Auto Trading, Auto Mining?
2) I find that bounties are very low paying and always scattered so far away. Is there a reason to this? Am I not understanding how it works because it does not seem worth doing. - Ignore this I guess it needed to settle down just like the economy since it's 100% fresh no bounties were yet created. I'm so use to cheating games so I just assume who wanted 1k bounty :P
3) When I start building stations should I be doing it within the independent sectors or should / can I go far out and start my own empire and stay neutral to most?
4) When I build stations any recommendations? Pretty much in x games you would fill in a gap if needed. Not sure how well it works vs AI.

If you guys have any other tips that be wonderful. I normally would just do whatever as an idiot player. I love to play 100's if not 1000's of hours but since I'm also recording it I like to not be a total idiot.

I also start off my games with very small expansion so it's more fun to watch it expand overtime. I'm doing 1800 sectors or trying push for that. I'm thinking this might be a bad idea I assume as the game progresses the performance is going be tanking more and more? Not sure how well threaded this game is if I should be a little better with my limits.

My goal is to start 100% fresh just a trader/little ship. Make my own little empire overtime then slowly take over the entire Galaxy or at least miss off some major factions so I can have some fun border skirmishes.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 09:41:44 AM by Kane Hart »

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
Re: A bit confused starting out as a neutral trader.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 06:20:14 AM »

Okay well this seems to have been a bug I noticed that my front empire info said 2 ships I had like 13 so I saved it exit to the menu and loaded same issue. I closed the entire game re-open it loaded it up and it was fine.

Mmmh that's an odd one. Did the ships still appeared in the asset list ?

What would you say makes more money at the start? Auto Trading, Auto Mining?

Players tend to favor mining for some reason. It's risk free and decent income. Mining ships are easy pickings for pirates, but that's on you to protect them.

System traders and the galaxy traders (system traders who's home-sector isn't in a solar system + long range in settings so they can still reach a gate) can bring a LOT more money on the table way faster. However, they can loose you a lot of money too if they get killed by pirates.

Of course, you can still ally the pirates so they leave you alone.

When I start building stations should I be doing it within the independent sectors or should / can I go far out and start my own empire and stay neutral to most?

I think you answered that question yourself given the other topic :)

Simply put, stations with a commercial goal can go in other factions' territory (as long as it won't takeover the sector, don't build a military base in someone else territory for instance). The heart of your future empire (shipyards + ship production factory chains) should be as far as possible from other factions, the more remote the location the better.

That said, it depends on the goals you set for yourself.

When I build stations any recommendations? Pretty much in x games you would fill in a gap if needed. Not sure how well it works vs AI.

Energy and ore production are probably the most straightforward ways to gain a secure stream of income. Of course, it also means that all the things you sell are effectively used by the other factions to expand, build fleets, etc.

Goods marked as luxuries (jewelry, human ale, ...) are a bit more complicated to build for free (more stations involved), but can be very profitable. They are consumed by AI factions to reduce war weariness. As such you can manipulate factions into going to war and take advantage of the increased demand. Even moreso if pirates happen to raid the faction's own luxury factory.

I also start off my games with very small expansion so it's more fun to watch it expand overtime. I'm doing 1800 sectors or trying push for that. I'm thinking this might be a bad idea I assume as the game progresses the performance is going be tanking more and more? Not sure how well threaded this game is if I should be a little better with my limits.

Yes, the game will run more slowly the longer it goes on (well until the map reaches capacity). However, the sector you're looking at is running in its own higher priority thread, as such slow downs due to the simulation alone are rarely a big problem. Well, within limits of course. The game will use all your cores up to 16, and  is optimized for 4 and 8 core CPU.

For reference: 1000 +/- sector large maps run ok-ish on an AMD Phenom II X4 at 3.4Ghz when full. Game saving and loading takes a while, though.

Anarkis Gaming

Bad Behavior has blocked 39 access attempts in the last 7 days.