legit

Anarkis Gaming Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [v0.6.0]The game fails to load world upon new game **Fixed in 0.6.3**  (Read 2743 times)

Frederikam

• Pilot
    • View Profile

The game fails to load world upon new game. An error popup appears, and the world continues to be pitch black, while the game becomes unresponsive.

The game was run on win8.
I wish I could provide more help than this, but I'll be here if you need me to dig up a log or something.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 08:24:42 PM by Serial Kicked »

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
Re: [v0.6.0]The game fails to load world upon new game
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 01:26:57 PM »

Thanks for the report and the screen shot, btw are you the same person that notified me of this error on IndieDB ?

In any case, I am aware of this issue, it seems to target a specific hardware configuration that I have issues reproducing on my machine. Sadly the current log system doesn't log this part of the game, I am in the process of writing a build of the game that will do it to help me to pin point the issue exactly and hopefully fix it.

It should be done with it during this weekend and I will post about it here and on the website.

Thanks

Anarkis Gaming

Frederikam

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 01:32:23 PM »

I'm glad to know that is is already being worked on. I didn't see any similar report on IndieDB, in fact I haven't even registered an account there yet.

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 01:10:03 PM »

Here's the new alpha, I hopefully fixed what I suspect to cause the issue, but it's mostly guesswork:

Download Link

In case the crash isn't fixed, a bug report system has been included: If the game crashes you'll get a window allowing to save the bug report to a text file (there's also an option to send it via email but it may not work if you haven't an email client).

Save the bug report and copy/paste it here (or, better, attach it to your post), and I will try to fix the issue asap.

Also, if it works fine, don't hesitate to tell me, good news are always welcome :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 06:34:37 PM by Serial Kicked »
Anarkis Gaming

Frederikam

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 09:40:10 PM »

Still no luck. I didn't get a loading screen with this build, so it may be a different bug. Either way I got a log and a screenshot this time.

http://pastebin.com/aW5S7rL8

I'll stay tuned in case you figure something out. :)

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 11:46:30 PM »

Thanks for the report, it's appreciated.

That's the same issue, I just moved the loading process in the main game window instead of displaying a sub-window. At the bottom of the game window you should have gotten "loading universe, world data, music" before the exception.

Anyway, it appears to be located in the DirectX layer between my own code and the computer. I am not the author of said library, so it's going to take me a while to figure out what is going on exactly.

There's a more recent version available that I will try, but it requires some changes in my own code, so it's going to take me a few days to produce another (hopefully working) build of the game.

Anarkis Gaming

Frederikam

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 10:48:22 AM »

My gpu here may be a problem. I have a gtx 280.
The gpu is about 5 generations old, however it supports directx 10.

I tried it with a new pc (with a gtx 710, weak but more up-to-date), and new problems arose.
http://forum.anarkisgaming.com/index.php/topic,20.0.html

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 03:55:24 PM »

My GPU is basically the same as yours, so I don't think so. It even works on a virtual machine running win7 and their incomplete GPU emulation. Given your other post and other reports I got, I guess there's some kind of issue between W8 and the graphical engine I am using.

I completed a build with the newer version of said library. To save some time I just packed the executable and debug files, so you can extract the zip in the installation folder directly. Bug report would be nice if it doesn't work (even if it looks similar to the first one).

http://www.anarkisgaming.com/down/ugpatch062b.zip

If it does work, great, but just note that's an executable I packed in a hurry, I tested none of the game features apart from the fact that it launch and allow me to shoot and move around in the game world.

If it still doesn't work, there's still a few alternatives I can test but it's gonna take me a while. Worst case scenario I can render without DirectX but not sure if it will be playable.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 03:57:00 PM by Serial Kicked »
Anarkis Gaming

Frederikam

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 04:19:50 PM »

The game seems to be running as intended, good job. :)

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 04:45:49 PM »

Great !

Thank you so much for helping me figuring this out. If you're still interested in the game by the time it's released, I will send you the game editor as a reward.
Anarkis Gaming

Bad Behavior has blocked 239 access attempts in the last 7 days.