legit

Anarkis Gaming Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [Fixed] Falling Letters Graphical Glitch  (Read 4510 times)

r0flcopter

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Falling Letters Graphical Glitch
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 08:03:10 PM »

I don't get the unresponsive menus with hw accel disabled anymore, so that might well have been themes failing to initialize on startup or sth. similar.

I did a quick check and don't get the falling letters glitch in the save or communication menus.
They appear in the equipment, ship settings, and game settings menus. In ship settings the glitch does not occur for all list items (e.g., they appear in 'Hostiles Only' but disappear when switching to 'No FF Avoidance'. Switching back causes the glitch to reappear).

The falling letters in game settings (the 'K' in 'Mouse/Keyboard') and equipment settings went away after switching back and forth between menu tabs. The same is not true for the ship settings menu.

I've also uploaded a few screenshots here (too large for attaching them here, apparently):
http://www49.zippyshare.com/v/sDPcxRX4/file.html
 - I hope these'll help.

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 09:38:45 PM »

It doesn't seem to follow a pattern I can identify in the code, beside the presence of tabs. If it's indeed the case, that's something I can exploit by modifying how my menus work.

I am about to publish tonight the 1.106 version. It's very unlikely to fix your problem given that the possible workaround will take me a while to write, but it's still worth a shot.

Edit: I just noticed the silly values about attachments, I increased the limit to a few megabytes. No need to re-upload, though, i got the file.
Anarkis Gaming

r0flcopter

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 09:15:20 PM »

I tried out v1.106 (clean install), launched it once with legacy mode disabled, twice with legacy mode enabled - left everything else at default.

Interestingly enough, I didn't get the falling letters with legacy mode enabled this time (both trials) but they did appear when legacy mode was disabled (in the same spots as in the screenshots - it only ever affects a few specific letters/numbers).

Did you make any changes to legacy mode between 1.105 and 1.106? If it wasn't just a fluke on my end (I remember Breet or someone else reporting that the issue wasn't consistent for them), then whatever you did might have finally fixed this.
Let's see what the others report and thanks for looking into this!

Breet

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 02:20:02 AM »

Fresh install of 1.1.0.6 Deluxe (had to go through start menu to uninstall, still does not show up in control panel > program and features to uninstall)

First load (legacy mode) corruption.

Second Load (normal) corruption.

Took some screenies of it again, one thing to note there are some windows that showed no corruption (like keybindings, some ships that were scanned) and there were also (mainly trade) where the corruption 'line' spread to the bottom of the screen, but then instantly was shortened to 1 or 2 characters falling.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7po5sb7te2iuwiz/AABnjmPEPSd4QlryzVYWtgnra?dl=0
(made sure to take shots of the settings window so you could make out what was checked/set and what was not)

Did a couple of extra loads, some were corrupted, others were not. So it still seems random.
Create game screen always showed normal tho, and neutral trader was used for taking screenshots
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 02:31:36 AM by Breet »

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 12:47:48 AM »

I didn't do anything more regarding the directX9 legacy access, I ran out of things to "toggle" (well, the coding equivalent) on or off in the graphic library. I did made some small changes to the menu "skin", removing some barely visible details (shadows, highlight) to the most probable culprits.

Looking at Breet' screenshots kinda killed my theory. While tabs seem to be a worsening factor, it still is present in other menu types. Well, at least it means I won't have to redesign my menus from the ground up. That's a plus, I guess.

I will prepare a specific build/patch with the most basic "menu skin" possible to see if I am at least on the right track. Because, if I am not, I am more or less out of options.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 12:49:23 AM by EsKa »
Anarkis Gaming

Breet

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 12:19:46 AM »

Just strange that not everyone has it, and it doesn't happen 100% of the times. (and the closest thing I have been told is it could be directx related *shrug* either way, can just keep reloading the game till it displays normal :) Only thing closely related between the 2 reports is windows 8.1/10. I will see if I can try on other pc's to see if it happens.

r0flcopter

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 11:23:39 AM »

Jup, it's a pretty weird bug. What's also strange is how the glitch consistently corrupts the same letters on my machine, yet seems to be inconsistent across machines. I wonder what the influencing variable is here.
If I can get the glitch to show up again (it consistently appeared for me until 1.1.0.6 weirdly enough), I'll try playing around with different resolutions and see if that changes anything.

Also looking forward to the basic menu patch in the hopes that this will finally help us identifying the culprit.

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 02:01:13 AM »

Hey.

Here's the promised "patch". It includes 2 executable files to be extracted in the game's folder and to be run manually (or renamed if you want to use the launcher).

- game_noskin.exe : Custom menu effects and bitmaps have been disabled. Most in-game menus will look very much like windows. Some Lists are written white on white (not going to change back font color on all items for a test) so things are a bit difficult to read.

- game_skin.exe : Altered version of the usual "skin". I fixed a couple of issues, disabled some changes I made to the fonts, and a few other things.

Both versions also include a graphic setting to toggle on/off menu anti-aliasing. I very much doubt it will do anything, and the effect itself is barely noticeable, but hey, it's menu related too. In 1.1x, it was always enabled (Not sure about previous version). It should be automatically disabled when you run one of those executable files for the first time.
As usual, trying to run the deluxe patch on a basic edition will crash (while the opposite won't, you probably don't want to do that :P). In general, if you are not experiencing the "falling letters bug" there is no point in downloading those patches at all.

Anarkis Gaming

r0flcopter

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 09:49:06 AM »

I tried the two deluxe exes on my deluxe ed install but they won't launch the game for some reason. Will try again with the basic patch and see if that works (you never know...)
Breet, did the patch work for you?

I was also unable to get the glitch to reappear on my vanilla 1.1.0.6 install so far but will keep trying.

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 03:52:59 PM »

That is weird, I just did a clean deluxe 1106 install, copied the files from the deluxe patch, and ran the 2 new files with no problem. What you describe to me (game not running at all) sounds like you're trying to run the patch from the wrong folder or on a basic edition.

Your installation folder should look like this. I highlighted the 2 files added by this patch.

You sure can test with the basic edition patch. That being said, if you can't reproduce the bug with 1106 anymore, it's no big deal (have you updated your graphical drivers or reinstalled directX between 1106 and the earlier version ?).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 03:55:12 PM by EsKa »
Anarkis Gaming

Breet

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2015, 11:18:28 PM »

Sadly it still happens. Both skin and no skin exe files.
Setting that were set. Full Hardware, Cap fps (60), Bloom Shaders, Procedural sky, Transparent menu. Background textures and rotation both set to medium. background stars max. 1920*1080 32Bit (59Hz)

Added to new folders (skin/noskin) to dropbox. One thing I noticed tho. when going to the settings tab. moving the mouse made it change? and with the altered skin. I noticed the map selection (newgame) had distortion on it. which it hasn't previously.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7po5sb7te2iuwiz/AABnjmPEPSd4QlryzVYWtgnra?dl=0

r0flcopter

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2015, 12:28:21 PM »

Nope, I definitely did deluxe on deluxe, as I didn't even download any basic edition ver. since I bought Deluxe (which was even before the v1 release). Placed the exes in the game's root folder, just like in your screenshot.
Though it now occurs to me that I didn't try deactivating my Antivirus-software, the No1 culprit in most such cases. Will try that once I get back from work.

No updates to DX or GPU drivers happened inbetween v1.1.0.5 and 1.1.0.6, I'm afraid, so I really have no idea why it stopped occurring all of a sudden.

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2015, 12:01:12 AM »

Hey,

Thank you both for your help trying to figure this one out. I am at a loss here and have to admit defeat for now as I really need to get back on tracks for the next big content update. At least, I learned a few things and reduced the 'surface area' in which the issue may be located.

I had reports of the game running fine both on Windows 8.1 and 10, so it seems to be fairly rare combinations of multiple factors. Also, at least, there are a few workarounds, which mean it doesn't make the game unplayable.

Sorry i can't do more for now. I will try a few other possible fixes in the next big update.
Anarkis Gaming

Breet

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2015, 05:09:10 PM »

I'm sure something later will popup that will show the cause / solution for it, but yes, it is strange. Just means I have to load the game a couple extra times for it to show great :)

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2015, 06:51:38 PM »

Another beta patch. May or may not fix the glitch.

http://forum.anarkisgaming.com/index.php/topic,181.0.html
Anarkis Gaming
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Bad Behavior has blocked 239 access attempts in the last 7 days.