legit

Anarkis Gaming Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [Fixed] Falling Letters Graphical Glitch  (Read 4512 times)

Breet

• Pilot
    • View Profile
[Fixed] Falling Letters Graphical Glitch
« on: November 09, 2015, 09:27:23 PM »

1.1.0.1 deluxe (installed over basic, since, couldn't find the uninstall option in programs/features)
Windows 10, i5 4670k, 16gb, r9 290.

Have full hardware accel. and bloom off (otherwise I get a really weird graphics bug, where it looks like 'letters' fall from where they should be)
1600x900 windowed mode.
Tried with the 'bonus ships' mod on and off (on in the save file)

Link to rar with the save files + screenshot of the graphics bug I get with hardware acceleration on (not if I change resolution, the graphics bug will not show untill I load the game a second time)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffmtq04j91xoglm/crash%20%2B%20graphics%20bug.rar?dl=0

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 05:21:00 AM by EsKa »

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
Re: Falling Letters Graphical Glitch
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 12:40:31 AM »

EDIT SO YOU DON'T NEED TO READ THE WHOLE TOPIC

So far this, apparently rare, bug has been fixed in 1.1.5. If it still happen to you, there are known workarounds you can set in the graphical settings. Note that changing those settings require that you quit and restart the game to apply.

• Using DirectX 9 Legacy Mode proved to work in some cases. There are no real downside in using DX9 anyway.
  • Disabling Full Hardware Acceleration worked in other cases. However, it means that the game will use a lot more RAM. You may want to put clouds and rotation quality to medium when this setting is disabled.
  • Even if it's not very practical, Simply closing and launching the game again may fix the graphical glitch.

You Can Help Us

Please, post a DXDiag report in this topic, and include screenshots of your in-game graphical settings and of the bug itself (if it's not visible in the graphical setting window).

Quote from: Original Post
Wow, I have to admit this graphical glitch is quite something, never seen it before.

I will look at the save-file.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 06:30:48 AM by EsKa »
Anarkis Gaming

Breet

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 12:22:59 AM »

More poking and proding around I think I have figured out the triggers.
"Full Hardware Acceleration" seems to be causing the issue
if it is on I get that weird effect with characters looking like they 'fall' from words, but I can access the sell tab fine.
If I turn it off, characters seem to stay in their words and not slide down the screen, but if I hit the sell window I get the floating point error.

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 03:37:43 PM »

I tried the savegame and managed to reproduce the bug when H/W acceleration is disabled.
I will see what i can do about it. I am going to publish 1.1.0.2 during the weekend, hopefully it will be fixed by then.

That being said, let make sure i got it right :

- No H/W acceleration : Floating point error (bug found)
- H/W Acceleration + Bloom : Falling letters (probably hardware/win10)
- H/W acceleration alone : working okay ?

Note that changes to the hardware acceleration setting require a full application restart to take effect.

EDIT: Ok the floating point error message is fixed.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 04:24:06 PM by EsKa »
Anarkis Gaming

Breet

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 04:21:03 PM »

Bloom didn't make a difference at all to the falling letters (happens with both bloom on/off)

Did some more testing today (and over a larger batch size) It seems about 50% chance on load, that letters will be falling. And changing resolution ingame, windowed/fullscreen didn't fix it.
If the game loaded and options menu looked fine I tried to load the neutral trader scenario and it looked fine scanning/trading with stations/ships.

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 04:27:31 PM »

That is weird, I hope it's not widespread to all windows 10 machines or that will become a big problem. I will look around for a solution but that may take a little while.

Good news is that the error message is now fixed, the game should run normally without the hardware effects.
Anarkis Gaming

Breet

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 11:31:00 PM »

Yeah it's strange. Good to know I can just keep reloading the game if it happens till it shows normal (guess first times it was just bad rng that it kept happening each time).
Not sure if it will help, but dxdiag attached (maybe game engine does not like amd cards?)

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 01:38:06 AM »

It's pretty much impossible for me to tell precisely, I would need the same hardware and driver setup to check what's going wrong exactly. It's probably a combination of OS, card and drivers.

There are some options in the graphical library I can and will tweak for next release. It may or may not improve the situation. It should be ready by Saturday or Sunday if everything goes right.
Anarkis Gaming

r0flcopter

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 11:17:03 AM »

I have the same problem, though I'm not running Windows 10 but Windows 8.1.
Full Hardware acceleration gives me the falling letters bug + inconsistent highlighting (delays) in the main menu (it's otherwise responsive though). Bloom + capping FPS to refresh rate doesn't make any difference.

Disabling hw acceleration solves the falling letters + highlighting issues but makes the main menu extremely laggy (jaggy mouse cursor movement etc.). I noticed this issue appearing with 1.1.0.2 (though I tried 1.1.0.1 only very briefly) and it's still there in 1.1.0.3.

r0flcopter

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 11:36:38 AM »

I gave 1.1.0.5 a quick try and here are my prelim results:

With DX9 Legacy mode and full hardware accel off, the main menu highlighting now works properly but the falling letters bug in the ship menu still occurs.

DX9 Legacy and full hardware accel. off produces strong flickering in the main menu, flickering of menu borders during gameplay but no falling letters.

If it helps any, I have an Intel Integrated Graphics Adapter and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M. I've set the GeForce as GPU for Unending Galaxy in the nvidia control panel. OS is Win 8.1.

Breet

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Deluxe 1.1.0.5 "Falling Text"
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 04:49:17 PM »

Sorry have not got around to testing this earlier. Took 5 loads but the falling text showed up.
Settings used:
Full Hardware, Directx Legacy, Cap FPS (refresh), Bloom, Procedural Sky, Display fps, transparent menus. "disable interpolation" was not checked.

Background textures (high), Rotation (high), Stars (max)  1920*1080 (59Hz) windowed mode not checked.

Strange I asked a friend who has done some game development and said he had a problem like this on one of his systems awhile back and was directx related). Have tried updating the latest redistribution of directx from MS (for 9?) directx_Jun2010_redist.
As for 12, it's baked into windows 10 so no way reinstall (tried running SFC to see if there was any errors as suggested on ms support, nothing)

I have also updated to the 15.11 (crimson) drivers for video card and on 1511 windows 10 build.

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 05:56:17 AM »

Important : When playing with full hardware OFF

The game need Windows' Themes service to be running, otherwise it will rely entirely on software rendering, which is extremely slow and probably buggy. If you don't know what is it: if your desktop still looks like Windows 95, the service isn't running. See the technical help, if need be. The game also need way more RAM than usual in this mode, so be wary of that (medium rotation quality settings is advised).

--

That being said, I am running out of options regarding this bug. I made a few small changes to the menus and I am removing some small graphical effects in the menus, but i am not sure it will do much.

Anarkis Gaming

Breet

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 07:13:43 AM »

R0flcopter, what card do you have? Could this just be an AMD issue?
For me it seems any type of HW accel. will cause (not always. but feels like 75% of loads) the falling letters. Windowed or fullscreen. Dropping the resolution, turning the options down.
EsKa, I'm fairly sure I have themes on, tho the options are renamed? in 10 (probs 8 also)
http://i.imgur.com/ws6bacp.png Screen cap of the visual effect properties in win 10.

r0flcopter

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 07:03:02 PM »

R0flcopter, what card do you have? Could this just be an AMD issue?

I'm afraid not - I'm using a GeForce GT 640M. I'm pretty sure I have themes enabled (+ I don't think it's actually easily possible to disable them in Win8.1). But I can try and double check.

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 02:57:24 PM »

The comment about visual themes was mostly directed at r0flcopter who complained about very poor performances when full hardware acceleration is disabled. Anyway, except if you went into your service manager to specifically disable themes, which is normally a thing you should remember, it should be running.

That said, just a couple questions, the letters in screenshot seem to be falling from the tabs in the menu. Does that mean only the menus using tabs are affected ? For instance, does the save/load or communications menus looks corrupted ?

Anarkis Gaming
Pages: [1] 2 3

Bad Behavior has blocked 240 access attempts in the last 7 days.