legit

Anarkis Gaming Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Great game so far! Some feedback...  (Read 643 times)

Beric01

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Great game so far! Some feedback...
« on: November 09, 2015, 01:56:42 AM »

I bought the full version of the game yesterday and have been messing around with it. I'm really enjoying the unique twists on the genres and want to see this game go somewhere. I thought I'd leave a little feedback (perhaps clearing up some confusions of mine in the process) and maybe make a few suggestions as well.

Tutorial: clicking past a message of the tutorial, if you didn't have really good memory there's no way to view the current task. I was ultimately able to figure out the game, but others might not be so fortunate.

A few bugs:

• The sound crackling will build up quite a bit after a while of playing the game - only solution is to restart. I see this has been mentioned by a few other people, but I can also concur it can get quite annoying after a while. Restarting the game is the only solution.
  • I get some occasional freezes with memory address errors. Not sure if there's any sort of logs that would be helpful.
  • Loading from saves has frequent issues - only solution is to restart the app.
  • Certain circumstances can cause a carrier to leave it fights behind without them disappearing. Similarly, it can later on regain them and then, if it also repaired at a station, it will be past its fighter cap.
  • Typing in a number (for example how many ships to buy or how many sectors an AI can move) does not work - after typing the number pops back to before. Only solution is to manually drag the slider.

Some issues I'm having:
  • Can't build a structure while inside of a constructor. Basically means you have to fly along with another ship beside it and constantly swap between ships. Also no way to tell something to be built in a certain location - you have to fly the ship there yourself (or tell it to follow you.)
  • Pirate AI is omniscient - sometimes it will chase me forever no matter how far I warp and jump. Since no one else will defend me it's basically game over if it happens early on. In my case after running for half an hour in my wimpy ship I had to reload from an earlier save.
  • Transport ship AI from stations needs some sort of prioritization. In my case, my chip factory was hogging all of the energy cells and overproducing while my steel plants and ship part factory were left dry. I really appreciate the lack of "trade routes" micro needed (I don't need another Anno game), but wish the AI were more optimized. Ships should also shuttle around excess energy cells from one plant to another, and perhaps shut down a plant completely if there is a huge excess. I'm not sure if a "pull" system would also be an option - only requesting a good if the factory will use it in a certain number of minutes, for example. If you're open to improving the economy/transport AI I'd be happy to suggest some more detailed ideas. I think this is a problem for the AI factions too.
  • Shipyards/military bases suck up all your ship parts. Early on, you have way too many ship parts for your own good due to being produced by planets, and the ship part factory is thus a good source of income for trade. However, the shipyards and military bases seem to somehow such them up (even though going in the build menu I can see a huge excess). The parts are therefore gone, as is my potential source of income.
  • Similarly, there's got to be a clear trading option of only releasing a good for sale if it is in oversupply on your current economic system. I don't want to sell a critical resource for later down the chain. I also don't want to have an overproduced resource sold and then continue to be overproduced, if it's sucking up a resource that it is in short supply (such as energy).
  • Sometimes, when using a jumpgate to a new system, the camera seems to become "left behind" and thus you're flying the ship in the new system, while still being in the old system. Not sure if there's some way to center the camera on where you currently are.
  • Warp gates - no one seems to follow the rules I set in the menu. Despite setting them as "allies only", I've had pirates, AI Core, other hostile military, and more use them. What about a setting of "my faction ships only"?
  • Weapons - there's no clear indicator of what their size is for fitting slots, or even what kind of weapon they are and how much damage they do. Makes equipping ships difficult. Similarly, I'd like an indicator on shield HP of each shield unit.

I'll be playing some more here and let you know my feedback. Right now I have one system, but am struggling to make money in order to expand further - speaking of which - could using ship parts be an option for building structures? According to my shipyard I apparently have over 1000 ship parts, but I'm at a my supply cap and have very little money.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 02:06:48 AM by Beric01 »

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
Re: Great game so far! Some feedback...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 05:22:41 AM »

Hi,

Welcome and thank you for the very detailed feedback. Sorry about the inability to recall tutorial messages. At some point the messaging system will be improved, but it's a low priority task at the moment.

The sound crackling will build up quite a bit after a while of playing the game - only solution is to restart. I see this has been mentioned by a few other people, but I can also concur it can get quite annoying after a while. Restarting the game is the only solution.

Problem is that I don't have this bug, so i am unsure of what is causing it or if my changes are effective at all. I'll keep trying, though.

I get some occasional freezes with memory address errors. Not sure if there's any sort of logs that would be helpful.

I will put a tracker in the next update to identify the problem.

Loading from saves has frequent issues - only solution is to restart the app.

I cut a lot of corners to save a bit of time when loading savegames when a game is already started, that's most likely why. Now that saving/loading times are decent, I will likely normalize this situation.

Certain circumstances can cause a carrier to leave it fights behind without them disappearing. Similarly, it can later on regain them and then, if it also repaired at a station, it will be past its fighter cap.

Leaving fighters behind is normal, but going over the fighter cap not so much. Nice find !

edit: I am not sure how you managed that feat., have you actually checked they go past cap? The code isn't based on what's inside the hangar and i can't reproduce manually so far.

Typing in a number (for example how many ships to buy or how many sectors an AI can move) does not work - after typing the number pops back to before. Only solution is to manually drag the slider.

Validate your input with the [enter] key.

Can't build a structure while inside of a constructor. Basically means you have to fly along with another ship beside it and constantly swap between ships. Also no way to tell something to be built in a certain location - you have to fly the ship there yourself (or tell it to follow you.)

the "execute orders" part of your ship is halted when you fly it directly. You can no more order it to build than to follow or attack stuff. However, you can switch to free camera mode for the operation. Regarding the second part (giving order to buy something at a specific place), yes, I will change the button's behavior so it requests to click a location before showing the buy menu.

Pirate AI is omniscient - sometimes it will chase me forever no matter how far I warp and jump. Since no one else will defend me it's basically game over if it happens early on. In my case after running for half an hour in my wimpy ship I had to reload from an earlier save.

Looks like a small bug, pirates should give away when you're either over 3 sectors away or out of their home solar system (when applicable). The check must have been skipped while making another change. Will fix asap.

Transport ship AI from stations needs some sort of prioritization [...]If you're open to improving the economy/transport AI I'd be happy to suggest some more detailed ideas.

It has been a long time since I have looked at this part of the code in details. I think there's a slight prioritization in place, but I am not sure it still works as intended. I'll patch something in if it's not the case. And for the rest, absolutely, but in a dedicated topic.

Shipyards/military bases suck up all your ship parts. Early on, you have way too many ship parts for your own good due to being produced by planets, and the ship part factory is thus a good source of income for trade. However, the shipyards and military bases seem to somehow such them up (even though going in the build menu I can see a huge excess). The parts are therefore gone, as is my potential source of income.

Yes they do absorb the parts automatically and it is to prevent them from entering the economy. Making a lot of money is already easy enough (mining, free traders), allowing to trade for ship parts would make that trivial. There are a few other reasons, but entering into the details of the economic system and its future is out of the scope of this post.

Ship part production is also too fast compared to fleet production (It was the other way around not that long ago), it will be tuned down. I should also force the ship part factories to stop producing once you hit the cap to reduce waste.

Sometimes, when using a jumpgate to a new system, the camera seems to become "left behind" and thus you're flying the ship in the new system, while still being in the old system. Not sure if there's some way to center the camera on where you currently are.

Only with jumpgates ? If you're in free camera mode, I don't think the camera will follow whoever you've ordered to use the jump gate nor if it's a good idea in all possible cases. If not, maybe a small issue introduced in 1.01 when fixing another, more problematic, bug. I'll double check.

Warp gates - no one seems to follow the rules I set in the menu. Despite setting them as "allies only", I've had pirates, AI Core, other hostile military, and more use them. What about a setting of "my faction ships only"?

Ships that have already set their path won't recalculate, so it can take a couple minutes to apply. Gate access is based on the destination gate and not on what ship is using it (and it will stay that way for performance reasons). For instance a hostile ship can use a neutral gate to go to your territory. It's relatively rare, though. Close your gate network completely to prevent anyone but your own ships from using it. I realize that it's not extremely intuitive. Documentation tend to lag a bit behind the game, sadly.

Weapons - there's no clear indicator of what their size is for fitting slots, or even what kind of weapon they are and how much damage they do. Makes equipping ships difficult. Similarly, I'd like an indicator on shield HP of each shield unit.

Right clicking any weapon or shield in, i think, any menu should show detailed stats.

edit: you may need to have it left-clicked / highlighted first before right click does its thing.

I'll be playing some more here and let you know my feedback. Right now I have one system, but am struggling to make money in order to expand further - speaking of which - could using ship parts be an option for building structures? According to my shipyard I apparently have over 1000 ship parts, but I'm at a my supply cap and have very little money.

Without details on the scenario or map it's hard to give specific advices. Depending on those, random events, faction expansion and warfare, you may or may not be able to gain a foothold especially as a new player.

Generally,  free traders are very effective at making money, especially if you have a few setup so they can explore most of the map, there's a few mentions of that already across the forum/wiki. Another decent money maker is to complete "destroy pirate base" missions for other factions, it'll help your reputation too. At some point, you'll probably find a few very high and relatively easy (for someone with a fleet) bounties to claim. Finally hunting swarm queens and gargants for their loot works too.

Truth is, even if the start is a bit difficult, credits become irrelevant when played as an empire.

Cheers,
EsKa.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 06:04:27 PM by EsKa »
Anarkis Gaming

Bad Behavior has blocked 231 access attempts in the last 7 days.