legit

Anarkis Gaming Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Linux ?  (Read 1728 times)

( Tchey )

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Linux ?
« on: September 05, 2015, 07:16:24 PM »

Hello,

Since i'm on Linux only now (a few months before i was dual booting Windows for some games), i can't play Unending Galaxy anymore. I tried to launch it from PlayOnLinux and Wine, without success.

Is there any plan to port the game to Linux ?
Did you manage to run it under Linux, someone ?

Thanks

Linux Mint 1.7 64 bits
Intel Core i5 4590 (4 x 3,3 GHz)
MSI GeForce GTX 960 @ 2 Go
8 Go DIMM DDR3 PC12800
LCD 1920x1080

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
Re: Linux ?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 09:29:42 PM »

Hey,

Sadly no, there's no plan to port UG to Linux or any other OS. Most of the libraries I used don't have a Linux-Friendly version. Next year's project might, however.

I am a bit surprised Wine didn't managed to run the game, though. Previous projects i built ran pretty well on Wine. I'll try checking it out once I find some free time to do so to see if i can do something about it (no promise).

Anarkis Gaming

( Tchey )

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 11:36:14 AM »

Thanks for answering.

I tried more and can't find how to make it work with Wine. Anyway, i hope later it will run with Linux without wine, as wine is always only an "emergency" option.

( Tchey )

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 05:58:22 PM »

So...

Still nobody managed to play it on Linux ?
All my attempts failed.

And still no plan to make a Linux version ?

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 12:58:09 AM »

Sadly, no.

Unending Galaxy won't be ported to Linux (or any other OS) in any foreseeable future, that would require to port it completely to another programming language. Too big a task for too small an audience to justify the cost and time investment.

Future projects will be written with cross-platform tools. Linux (and mac) compatibility should be a given.
Anarkis Gaming

tsalaroth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 05:34:55 PM »

Sadly, no.

Unending Galaxy won't be ported to Linux (or any other OS) in any foreseeable future, that would require to port it completely to another programming language. Too big a task for too small an audience to justify the cost and time investment.

Future projects will be written with cross-platform tools. Linux (and mac) compatibility should be a given.

Just curious, what language did you use with the game?

With the recent Windows 10 ELF capabilities, you may not be far off from being able to build ELF on Windows 10 environments with a Windows compiler.  If you can do that, you're gold.

If you're using .NET 4.x or later, Mono has gotten pretty good at building VS projects for just about any language .NET supports.

Bad Behavior has blocked 231 access attempts in the last 7 days.