legit

Anarkis Gaming Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unexpected delay  (Read 3999 times)

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
Unexpected delay
« on: August 17, 2015, 04:44:01 PM »

Hey

My power supply decided to die while i was writing the new devlog about colony management. As a result i am now locked out of my pc (i am writing this from my phone). I just ordered a new one which should arrive in 2 to 3 days.

Apologies for the delay.

Cheers
EsKa.
Anarkis Gaming

Paul

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Unexpected delay
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 09:41:54 PM »

Bummer. Hopefully the power supply didn't take anything else with it. I had one go out about 5 years ago that did something to the motherboard and the hard drive. I wound up getting first a new motherboard and rebuilding only to find my hard drive was spinning up but no longer readable. Lost all my data. About 6 months later my new video card died too, I figure it was probably related - although it was still under warranty at the time since I had upgraded right before the incident.

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 02:50:44 AM »

Thanks for mentioning what's currently my nightmare :D

Yeah dying power supply can be dangerous for the whole pc. I sure hope it won't be the case here. Computer's too old for guarantee and too recent for the spare parts i have available. Worst case scenario i'll borrow one but i really hope it wont come to that.

Anarkis Gaming

Fireball14

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Universinet.org
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 05:00:56 AM »

Thanks for mentioning what's currently my nightmare :D

Yeah dying power supply can be dangerous for the whole pc. I sure hope it won't be the case here. Computer's too old for guarantee and too recent for the spare parts i have available. Worst case scenario i'll borrow one but i really hope it wont come to that.
Try to get one of these http://www.apc.com/products/family/?id=67 i have one for a year now, and in my current apartment light flicker all the time, and my pc is still alive.

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 04:12:02 PM »

Yeah i had a similar one when i was in another flat. But here, it died due to old age (4+yo) and dust. mainly dust given the slight burnt smell i noticed when it happened. I clean my cpu and gpu fairly often, but for some reason i overlooked the power supply.

The replacement has been shipped. It may arrive tomorrow, but the day after is more likely. After that, all i hope is that the hard drive is still in working condition. I have source code backups but with the vacations last one dates from last devlog.

We'll see :)

Anarkis Gaming

Paul

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 12:49:01 AM »

Try to get one of these http://www.apc.com/products/family/?id=67 i have one for a year now, and in my current apartment light flicker all the time, and my pc is still alive.

In my case it wasn't a power related issue, I have a UPS system that regulates my power. It just died violently and very noisily, I think one of the caps exploded - it sounded like a firecracker going off in my case.

Fireball14

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Universinet.org
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 03:24:43 AM »

In my case it wasn't a power related issue, I have a UPS system that regulates my power. It just died violently and very noisily, I think one of the caps exploded - it sounded like a firecracker going off in my case.
You need both for best results, regular ups  systems can hold around 110 volts of power fluctuations, after that they usually die, if this fluctuation was too fast for them. Stabilizers on other hand can hold up a punch but, they do not help with constant mild fluctuations. So you plug your stabilizer first, then goes ups and then goes cheap power filter.
PS Ukrainian power grid is really unstable, so we had to learn the hard way.  :(

Fireball14

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Universinet.org
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 03:37:20 PM »

Any news? Its been a week now, since we last heard from EsKa.

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 08:41:06 PM »

Typing with 1 bad hand on smartphone apologies.

Pc is ok.

I am not.

The day after i got the power supply. I got jump on by thugs on the street for money i dont even have. Broken jaw in 2 locations. Dislocated right arm (no idea correct engli
sh term). It will take me a month at least to recover. I hate doing that especially as the game was getting traction. But it is out of my control.

Phone pics are too big to post here witout editing l. Will post when back from hospital
Anarkis Gaming

Fireball14

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Universinet.org
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 01:48:03 AM »

Typing with 1 bad hand on smartphone apologies.

Pc is ok.

I am not.

The day after i got the power supply. I got jump on by thugs on the street for money i dont even have. Broken jaw in 2 locations. Dislocated right arm (no idea correct engli
sh term). It will take me a month at least to recover. I hate doing that especially as the game was getting traction. But it is out of my control.

Phone pics are too big to post here witout editing l. Will post when back from hospital
Wow, get better man, and don't worry about a thing. If some one gonna have questions about a game, il try to answer them my self.

Wanabe

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 02:59:49 AM »

Sucks to read about your recent experience. Hope you feel better soon.

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 06:53:52 PM »

I am back from the hospital.

Still writing one handed, but i am getting better at it :D Too bad text to speech isn't really an option for programming.

Anarkis Gaming

Bad Behavior has blocked 42 access attempts in the last 7 days.