legit

Anarkis Gaming Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Faction mod - Starborn Dominion - (released v0.2 for UG 1.2)  (Read 2625 times)

Paul

• Pilot
    • View Profile

I had a little free time today so I made a faction mod, adding a new faction to the game. Faction is complete - special colony, custom ranks, full set of ships, stations (only the military/shipyard/trade stations), and player usable tech group. I also included two profiles that let you start in the faction's space with their ships - a bounty hunter setup and a builder setup. The sprites are modifications of sprites made for the game Starsector, used with permission (file included has links to the originals).

You can download it here: Google Drive link for Starborn Dominion v0.2 mod

To install it just drop it in your mods folder and use the mod manager through the launcher to enable it. I believe you need the deluxe version to play mods, but I haven't tried on the regular version.

It is not save game compatible, so don't load a save (if you do you'll get errors and have to re-launch the program) but it does work with existing maps. Generated maps will automatically give them their own territory. New games in existing maps will give them a capital square in a random unoccupied system. I had intended to make a custom map to go along with the mod, but found the map generator a bit tedious to work with. Maybe in the future.

The faction's ships are focused similarly to the pirate faction - high speed, high armament; but low on the armor and shields. I tried to keep them balanced vs the original ships while giving them a bit of unique flavor. Their cargo ship, for instance, is very fast - but completely unarmed.

Oh and here's an example of the sprites:

-Update- Updated to version 0.2 for UG 1.2. Old version is here if for some reason anyone wants it:  OLD VERSION Starborn Dominion v0.1 mod

Changelog for 0.2:
1. Adjusted ship stats to be more in line with the ship stats in the newer version of UG. For the most part it was just adjusting speeds down, as all the base game ships have had a bit of a speed nerf since I first released this mod.

2. Adjusted the SB specific stations to have energy generation akin to the 1,2 stations. This was needed due to changes in shield power usage, as the SB stations would never really regen their shields in recent UG versions due to lack of power.

3. Tweaked the starts a bit to be more in line with base game starts.

4. Added a Swarm Hive World variant that has Starborn Dominion sectors added (so they have their own space) and has more starting sectors allotted to the Swarm. I can plug the SD into more maps if there is demand for it. I kind of like the Hive World map as it gives you lots of swarm to fight.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:00:12 PM by Paul »

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
Re: Faction mod - Starborn Dominion - (released v0.1)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 09:55:02 PM »

Thanks for putting the mod here :)

I'll advertise it alongside the new release (which doesn't break mod compatibility) in my next article.
Anarkis Gaming

Paul

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Faction mod - Starborn Dominion - (released v0.2 for UG 1.2)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 10:46:00 PM »

Updated for Steam release (version 1.2).

EsKa

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 01:53:21 AM »

Nice!

I made a dedicated "mod" area on steam community forums, you may want to advertise there too, it gets quite a lot more traffic.
Anarkis Gaming

Paul

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 03:21:04 AM »

Already done. Steam doesn't let you put download links though, so I just linked it to here.

Bad Behavior has blocked 48 access attempts in the last 7 days.